Author Topic: Live from the count at the Oasis......almost!  (Read 24407 times)

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
Re: Live from the count at the Oasis......almost!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 04:00:40 pm »

The collective noun for misogynists ?

A`parliament ?
Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Margie

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 07:48:26 pm »
[The collective noun for misogynists ?

A miscellany?  A mischief??  A mishmash???  Or even a mishit????  - no, that's a mis-hit!

Offline Caz

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 01:44:42 pm »

"It is often said that bad news rides a fast horse, and Karens impeding defeat in central was no exception to the rule. The result circulated the entire hall in under 30 seconds and apparently, while her news was still accelerating in one direction, it passed a rumour which was rapidly approaching from the other. Derique, it was alledged, had received some last-minute but intensive, and very selective, door knocking help from a group of enthusiastic young labour voting asians.

If the rumour is true, it seems a sad indictment of todays politics that hearts, and hard work can be so easily mown down by a busload of mobile activists".

Geoff

Do you know where this rumour started?

I have to say I was one of the volunteers helping Derique Montaut that night canvassing and I can categorically state there were no such people in the team.  Unfortunately, Derique did not have any young, enthusastic, Labour voting Asians in the group.  None of the group were "selected" by Derique to canvas on his behalf.  As far as I am aware we all volunteered.  Most of the electorate I met that day also fully supported Derique and Labour, and this attitutude was reflected in the voting.

Someone is telling you all porkies and you have all been duped. I do not believe this kind of rumour is of any help in raising Karen Leakey's profile or in highlighting her efforts.  Is is more of a sad indictment of her supporters and the party she represents.

There were a number of people in the group - that is true - but the "young" ones this rumour refers to were probably my children who are aged 7 & 11.  Obviously they are not of an age to vote though.  May I suggest the one responsible for this rumour see an optician not least because the children are both white and British.

Perhaps the Tory propoganda team should get their facts right before making such allegations.  Maybe it is hard for them to move away from writing pure fiction.

However it was welcomed to be described as being "enthusiastic" and "young"!

Triumph

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 02:08:52 pm »
 :D

oooh!! someone upset the Labour Group didn't they?

Caz or whatever your name is, if you are so readily identifiable perhaps you could make a complaint to the electoral commission!!  That assumes that you did actually write this and it was not like so many Labour Party Documents written for you!!

As you should know Geoff Reid is not a member of the Conservative Party and therefore it is strange that you attribute these comments to him by association.

I am suspicious that you would react in such a way if you are talking about people canvassing from a specific ethnic background.  As you comment about your children being White and British are you not drawing attention to politically incorrect racism.  I do not want to acuse you of racism but I am puzzled by your comments!  Are you, therefore, claiming that no people of asian descent actually volunteered to help Derique Montaut and if they had what would have been the problem.

:D?

Offline Caz

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 03:07:40 pm »
I think describing me as upset was an exaggeration.  I just think that someone should point out that the rumour was totally incorrect and unnecessary.

There is no racism in my comment.  I was stating a fact.  You are looking for something that is not there.  So do not try to make more of it.  The group canvassing was made up of whoever wanted to turn up that day.

I also did not accuse Geoff.  At the top of my posting I asked Geoff if he knew where it had come from.

Other facts - Yes I am genuine and my name IS Caz. I am not a member of the Labour Party - just a volunteer who assisted Derique in his canvassing during the local elections.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 05:55:38 pm »
Hi Caz, great post!, can't answer you fully until tonight' (posting from my phone at present and it's awkward), but I will later tonight...stay tuned to Talkswindon eh?

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 10:03:35 pm »
:D

Caz or whatever your name is, if you are so readily identifiable perhaps you could make a complaint to the electoral commission!!  That assumes that you did actually write this and it was not like so many Labour Party Documents written for you!!

!!

Offline Peter Greenhalgh

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 11:06:48 pm »
Geoff,

If you are not a member of the Conservative Party, I can get an application form to you pretty quickly.

We're always open to new members.

regards

Pete

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 11:11:05 pm »
Geoff,

If you are not a member of the Conservative Party, I can get an application form to you pretty quickly.

regards

Pete

Is this allowed?

Whoops, missed then again  !!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 11:52:19 pm »
This is the part of my 'Live from th...' posting that has sent ripples through the Labour group.....

Derique, it was alledged, had received some last-minute but intensive, and very selective, door knocking help from a group of enthusiastic young labour voting asians.

If the rumour is true, it seems a sad indictment of todays politics that hearts, and hard work can be so easily mown down by a busload of mobile activists".

So, as Caz has focused upon individual words and added an interpretation of her own to them, I'll need to deal with them in point order before moving on to the origin of the rumour....and that's the bit that every is waiting for, allegedly.

I have to say I was one of the volunteers helping Derique Montaut that night canvassing and I can categorically state there were no such people in the team

Actually, I'm of the impression that the verbal statement made at the count was referring to either the morning or afternoon of polling day. This might be sloppy use of language on my part, for which I apologise.....I'm not a paid hack afterall  :-[

As many rumours contain just a seed of truth, perhaps Caz could tell us whether her 'No such people in the team' statement holds true for the entirety of polling day?.  Not that I think there's anything wrong with having 'such people' canvassing a ward with such a diverse mix of ethnicity.

Unfortunately, Derique did not have any young, enthusastic, Labour voting Asians in the group

Shame really, it would have perfect sense and would have been be quite normal to do so, but why reinforce the 'no such people' statement?. 

None of the group were "selected" by Derique to canvas on his behalf.

I don't believe either the rumour, or my reporting of it here deliberately suggested that he had. Let's look at the exact sentence I used.

had received some last-minute but intensive, and very selective, door knocking help

Maybe it's ambiguous....maybe not, I'm prepared to accept literary criticism of it, (I'm not a journo remember), but my understanding of the verbal statement was that doors were being selectively knocked upon, i.e those householders that could almost be relied upon to vote Labour, just as long as they could be encouraged along to the polling station.

As far as I am aware we all volunteered.  Most of the electorate I met that day also fully supported Derique and Labour, and this attitutude was reflected in the voting.

My added bold emphasis. Earlier you said  "that night", so does your statement hold true for both day and night?

May I suggest the one responsible for this rumour see an optician not least because the children are both white and British.

Steady, you'll have the BNP quoting you somewhere or other  ;)

Do you know where this rumour started?

Yes, I do.  :)

But before we get to that, the following statements made by Caz need correcting:

Someone is telling you all porkies and you have all been duped. I do not believe this kind of rumour is of any help in raising Karen Leakey's profile or in highlighting her efforts.  Is is more of a sad indictment of her supporters and the party she represents.

This is indicative of the circular and self perpepuating belief amongst the Labour group that anything, and anybody criticising a Labour politician, or Labour activity must be, by default, a Tory plot.

Labours 'antibody reaction' to uncomfortable comment is to smear whover made the comment.....but not to properly examine the circumstances of how it was made....

...and the Labour group especially don't like it when they are the ones being scrutinised, for the rumour mongering they instigated in Moredon, Walcot, Parks and Toothill recently.

If anyone from the Labour group present at the Oasis count would care to respond to my earlier invitation to send me photos, particularly of the Central counting table, I might be able to point the finger with considerable accuracy, but they haven't, and I don't in all honesty expect them to.

Let's not forget that there were members of two other political parties at the count that night, the Liberal Democrats and the party that Labour-dare-not-speak-it's-name. It's possible, indeed plausible, that it suits the local Labour group to seek to deliberately lay blame at the Torys door, smear me on the way past and knife Talkswindons' tyres into the bargain, let's face it, recently Geoff Reid, Talkswindon and the local Conservative group have been shining the bright light of scrutiny onto the labour group, and they simply don't like it.

So lets see the Labour groups photos eh?. 

Now we get to the part that causes me a wry smile......

Perhaps the Tory propoganda team should get their facts right before making such allegations.  Maybe it is hard for them to move away from writing pure fiction.

The inference here is clear. Caz would have any casual reader believe that I am authoring pure fiction on behalf of the Tory Propaganda machine, if such a thing even exists.

A casual observer could easily conclude that I must be pro-tory because I spend a fair amount of time scrutinising, and commenting on the Labour groups recent activities.....but a more serious reader of Talkswindon would probably reach a far different conclusion and a drive-by smearing by a Labour volunteer probably won't change that opinion, because they will see it for what it is.

But, just for the record and to eliminate any doubt about this, I am not, nor have I ever been a member of the Conservative party.

I have never been to a Conservative rally, even though one was held just yards from my home two weeks ago, yet I have been to several Labour meetings.

I have never met a Conservative MP, yet I recently attended David Millibands event at New College Swindon. David, as I'm sure TS readers will know, is  a Labour minister. 

I paid into the political levy of my trade union when I was still a member.

I have voted Labour twice in the last three general elections, (care to guess which one I didn't vote Labour in?).

Yes. The truth is awful really.....I am a recovering Labour voter, one of a growing number of ex-labour voters who is sick of spin, sick of smear and sick of rotten government, whether it be nationally or local.

Swindon used to be Labour to the core..... but now has only a dozen councillors. Go figure.....

The Labour party has been struck with political leprosy...and with every new crisis it created for itself its body suffered a fresh spasm. Each spasm causes bits to fly off.....thankfully I was thrown clear in the early days.

'Bits' have been recently thrown clear in Swindon too. Andy Harrison, John Taylor, David Wren, Sinead Darker, Peter Mallinson, Mavis Childs and now David Glaholm.... 7 councillors....either resigned or joined the Conservative party.

Do the labour group regard them as turncoats?, or people of good heart, sound conscience and solid principles who were also sick of spin, sycophancy and terrified by Labours shift away from democracy and social justice and sprinting headlong towards elected dictatorships and State control......once again, go figure  :)

So there we are. I'm not a Tory and Talkswindon isn't a Tory forum either, if you want to visit a forum owned and run by a Tory visit Justin Tomlinsons www.swindontalk.com  Labour readers will be surprised, the Swindontalk forum isn't rabidly pro-tory either, even though it's owned by one, and populated by several more.....'Labour owned' means 'Labour managed content' in Labour-land, but forums just don't survive like that in the real world.  Try visiting a Labour forum and see if there's much genuine discussion going on..... or whether the stench of censorship is prevalent  ;) I'd give you the urls, but I deleted them in disgust when I realised how closely monitored, moderated and censored they are.

Ever wondered why there's no moderators here, and no censorship?......again, go figure.

....but this forum, the forum you're reading is a .org and it doesn't censor, moderate or otherwise alter it's content to suit any political party, person or commercial advertiser and doesn't have to sensationalise anything to sell copy like a newspaper. It's content is provided purely by the membership, although it's pleasing to be able to report that it is now a hugely well-read forum whose readers far, far outnumber its membership.

This is because it's a bloody good forum and the members should be quite proud of themselves.

I'm glad you're here Caz, I really am, because it's about time the Labour group started answering questions about it's recent behaviour, and arguing their own case if and when they've been wronged. This Derique Montaut business will resolve itself one way or the other. If what you say is correct. I'm sure Deriques election expenses will be squeaky clean and there won't be any receipts for minibus hire in Reading or Southampton, and I'm sure no witnesses will step forwards to say they saw non existant minibuses disgorging non existant volunteers onto the streets of central...... time will tell.

Incidentally, you'd be surprised how many of the Labour group send me messages telling me how much they enjoy reading Talkswindon, but worry about being bollocked by their own group if they contribute here. They want to, but daren't, and that's sad.

I'm hoping your presence will encourage others to join in too, so thank you  :)

And finally.....

The rumour, if it was a rumour, was stated quite openly, and quite loudly very close to the central counting table just a few seconds after the paper count result was released.

If members would like to send me any photos you have of the count, I'd be pleased to look through them and see if I can't identify our rumour monger.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:04:23 am by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 12:05:58 am »
Geoff,

regards

Pete

Thank you Peter, but I must decline.

In the absence of any effective opposition from the Labour or Liberal Democrat groups, I fear it is up to members of the public to form their own scrutiny committee to watch, and pass comment upon, everything the council does,  and everthing the councillors say and do.

I am happy, and probably needed where I am for the time being, but thank you anyway  :)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 08:11:46 am »
Hi Geoff
I think it was Petronius that referred to the final scene in Spartacus, but it was the penultimate scene, I think that Caz has blown this non event up into a Cause Celebes, I can just hear the rings throughout the Oasis main hall as the Labour thought police reconstruct the scene around the central count table. The Police officer, moves forward and says to a hushed crowd,  "A serious and terrible blow has been struck against the Labour party election machine. I am looking for the spanner that is responsible. I have information it is one Geoff Reid" He then turns to the Crowd and says who is "Geoff Reid", at that point all the Candidates and Agents from the Conservative, Greens, UKIP, Independents and others move towards the police officer and all shout in unison "I am Geoff Reid"...

If it wasn't so funny it would be pathetic, I think Geoff you are the General Nedd Ludd of the Local Political world, I can just imagine you thinking, where is Metro 1 just when you need him? or for that matter Andy Newman. Perhaps the rejection of the offer from Peter to join the Conservative Party was a bit hard but it is good to see that you have recovered from your Bipolarity.

Can I categorically deny "for I shall say this only once" that even though I visited the Central Counting Table to take photos and in fact supplied you with a photo I took of Karen and Kevin, I did not start this rumour, I never said anything remotely like it, but now the infamy of all this intrigue makes me wish I had! I do have a confession to make I am a Conservative yes, but never denied that fact three times, on the night in question  before the cock crowed.

I was only there taking the photographs, honest guv, I know taking this photo places me at the scene of, as some Labour supporters might say a wicked and despicable crime, but this is not a Columbo style investigation and cannot be confidently solved in 59 minutes, with three commercial breaks.

I am sure that I can supply evidence to show who was at the Table and will go through my photos. I will send any to you Geoff, under plain cover delivered by hand by a man wearing a shabby raincoat; the raincoat is not the only thing shabby about this whole episode.

May I say that I look forward to working with Derique and the all the other newly elected councillors, and hope they  will enjoy the soiree in the Council Chamber today.
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 09:09:00 am »

first few pictures received this morning.... keep 'em coming  :)

Offline Caz

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 10:38:37 am »
1. You have all appear to have missed the one point I was making - that the rumour is a lie and therefore intended to be malicious as it bore no relation to the truth.

But let's clear up some other points

2. I was also canvassing with Derique during the day as well as the evening (there were three of us then).

3. I am not in Labour. 

4. Labour have had nothing to do with this either.   Sorry to burst your bubble.

5. Derique is a friend of mine, hence why I gave my support.  Are you satisfied now?

6. I am concerned about the kind of rubbish that is posted about candidates, councillors and MPs - whatever their party.  This should be cleaned up.  It is ok to express an opinion, but to lie is another matter.  I thought Cameron was also keen to see this stop (look at "webcameron" if in any doubt)

7. I am happy to meet you all face to face, should you have any doubts.  Are you?  You can then find out for yourselves whether I am genuine in what I say and end this nonsense.

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 11:04:12 am »

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks". (Hamlet)

Reidy seems to have reported what he saw, and what he heard at the count. Are you saying he's a liar, and lying on behalf of the Tory party Caz?

He even said:

This account of the evening is entirely compiled from my personal observations only, any reference to conversations
I’m only recording what I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears….but should be treated as hearsay unless anyone is specifically quoted and presented as 'on the record'.

Why are you trying so hard to insist there's a link between this forum and the Tory party, is it so difficult for you to understand that there are people still walking around with independance of thought and action?.

What has Webcameron and David Cameron got to do with Talkswindon?, forums like these usually terrify politicians because they can't control either content or context, your point is an absurd one.

The 'nonsense', as you put it, is only being discussed because you wish it to be. Please identify one single post where any other member has bothered to discuss it in depth.

It's only you Caz, why is that?  :popcorn:

Offline Caz

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 11:34:53 am »
I am not saying Reidy didn't hear it.  I asked if he knew where it came from.  This is the third time I have had to say this. 

Clearly this is a website that appeals to children.

Anyway, I am happy I have posted what I wanted to say, so that the truth was told to all those independent of thought people out there who may have read the inaccuracies.  I know what happened as I was there.  It is clear none of you were.

PS I notice no one took up the offer of sorting this out once and for all - that says it all.

shorty

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 11:46:30 am »
Clearly this is a website that appeals to children

Boo Hoo  :-[

Anyway, I am happy I have posted what I wanted to say, so that the truth was told to all those independent of thought people out there who may have read the inaccuracies.  I know what happened as I was there.  It is clear none of you were.

Caz,

what I don't understand is - Why is this such a big issue for you ?

Reidy reported what he heard at the election count - so what ?

The fact the information may or may not be wholly accurate is almost immaterial - he wrote a report (and very funny it was) people read it - and ...?

I can only assume the Derique has put you up to this because I really can't believe you would go to all this trouble of trying to justify yourself (I still don't understand the point of your argument) of your own volition.

If you did - great - I just wonder why .............

Offline HeidiT

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2007, 12:02:14 pm »

;D

Hey guys, Caz is a newbie and isn't used to the way you all write and report things?  Maybe it isn't anything more 'sinister' than that?

I for one would like to welcome Caz to talkswindon and hope she comes back !!!!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 12:08:52 pm »
Good point Heidi, however, Caz has waded in like an old pro....and I don't mean of the 'negotiable affection' type either, so I'll treat her like one...a pro that is  :)

I am not saying Reidy didn't hear it.  I asked if he knew where it came from.  This is the third time I have had to say this. 

You can stamp your feet as much as you like, but you'll have to curb your impatience and wait with the rest of Swindon for members of the Labour group who were at the count to step up with photos, or perhaps a few words.

Okay, we've established you were leafleting all day for Derique, and you weren't driving a minibus for him.... now let's get back to the really interesting bit about who started the rumour....

PS I notice no one took up the offer of sorting this out once and for all - that says it all.

Sorry Caz, but unless you were at the count, and stood next to the central counting table you can't 'sort this nonsense out once and for all', yours is just the bit-part of a minor volunteer who helped a friend leaflet, you said so yourself.

Best you leave the rest of it to those that actually were at the count eh?.  ;)

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 12:14:56 pm »

:ttiwwop:

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.