Author Topic: Live from the count at the Oasis......almost!  (Read 24407 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Live from the count at the Oasis......almost!
« on: May 05, 2007, 09:48:55 am »

I'm going to post my account of Thursdays count at the Oasis......but it's too big to knock up in a morning and I have to go out.

But I will get it posted this weekend, probably by Sunday evening  :)

shorty

Re: Live from the count at the Oasis......almost!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:58:18 pm »
But I will get it posted this weekend, probably by Sunday evening 

So where is it then ?????

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:27:04 pm »

Ahem....on it's way  :-[

Hopefully later this evening.

Dick Norman

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:02:53 pm »
 :fence1:

I know someone who took some pictures at the count - they haven't posted them as the files are too large.  Good ones of our Anne in the Arena arguing with the officials whilst being heckled by niggled Tories from outside the Arena!!  Also one of Maureen Caton just as Cllr Peter Greenhalgh shouted out 'Dirty Campaign', such timing.

How can these pictures be sent to you? 

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:25 pm »

YOUR COUNT PICTURES NEEDED PLEASE !

They'll be very gratefully received at: geoffreid@talkswindon.org

Thanks  :)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:42:40 pm by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:03:58 pm »
Talkswindon, as it was pointed out to met the other day, is the modern day parish pump, the wash house, the kitchen sink and street corner of local politics, and if you spin the Heineken slogan slightly, it’s true to say that the forum “rips open the parts that other media can’t touch”….which is a good and pure thing when you consider how badly the mainstream media will pervert the truth of a situation for a good byline.

Talkswindon is media for the people, requested by the people, produced by the people and read by the people. People like me…. who aren’t satisfied with  low-fat content eclipsed by big tabloid headlines in their local papers or sated by 20 second soundbites on the radio.

There is only one way to find out what is going on in the 11 months of the year you don’t see a local councillor or candidate seeking election, and that is to go out and find out for yourself, then hopefully compare notes with other likeminded people, sometimes very publicly. This is why venues like Talkswindon simultaneously stimulate, polarise, and sometimes even paralyse the political wannabes, are’s and has beens of todays tightly managed media age.

So, before I start properly, let’s all begin by remembering that all elected officials are public servants. They are elected by us and paid by us, to serve us, and as such they should expect to be scrutinised by us….and if they are uncomfortable or unhappy with this concept they should probably not seek election to public office in the first place.

This is a concept which seems to have been forgotten, or deliberately reversed by many members of Parliament who, instead of acting as our representatives in Parliament, are perceived to be more like Government representatives, e.g Roman Governors in their constituencies broadcasting government messages but returning nothing but good news from the provinces. This arrogance sometimes filters downwards until it even a local councillor starts to think of themselves as being somehow ‘better’ than the people that elected them.  I’m convinced that right there, right at the bottom of the political compost heap, as it were, is where the great unwashed British public started to become dislocated from politics generally. Apathy set in.

This political apathy which grips Britain must be reversed, people must re-engage with the democratic process and scrutiny must be applied to everything our servants do and say while they are serving us in their official capacity. Only when people realise that their opinions can be heard, that they are not alone in their views and that they will be taken seriously if they bother to speak, will they feel empowered enough to re-engage with the political process from the grass roots level upwards. If this decline continues unchecked it seem likely that ‘The State’ will step in, fill the void and take complete control ‘for their own good’.   Exactly ‘whose’ good is an open question.

So….here we go then, but first a caveat you won’t find in a paper, but then Talkswindon is no ordinary rag…..

This account of the evening is entirely compiled from my personal observations only, any reference to conversations
I’m only recording what I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears….but should be treated as hearsay unless anyone is specifically quoted and presented as 'on the record'.

It's almost certainly going to be chronologically incorrect. I didn't note the times of events, results or conversations. I also haven't made many references to results as they are available elswhere on Talkswindon.

If I'm invited along again next year I promise I'll be make more of an effort to get it right.

But not too much more.

Treat it as a light hearted if you will.......

Geoff Reid

Arriving at the Oasis leisure centre with a pen and paper instead of badminton rackets and sports bag was strange, as was following the gentle stream of people entering the centre into the bar area instead of the changing rooms.

I knew this was going to be an interesting, perhaps surreal evening because I happen to suspect that the vast majority of voters in local elections rarely meet the candidates themselves. The nearest most of us come to doing so is hearing the letterbox clang shut as a leaflet lands on the doormat and seeing a rear-view of the poster as they accelerate away from your door.   

In the bar, small groups of people wearing rosettes were already clustered around the tables and the bar, and stood quite prominently amongst them were the three British National Party candidates who were standing in Gorsehill, Parks and Penhill.  This was my first chance to get a close look at them, and perhaps a ‘sense’ of them as people, and I admit to being a little surprised by how well dressed they were.

Maybe I had a solidly stereotypical mental image of them politically and socially.  I wasn’t really expecting to see them wearing drainpipes, Doctor Martins, tee shirts and braces, but neither was I expecting to see three such well dressed men.  I was surprised, and engaged in a few minutes of people watching, well, BNP watching actually, and was completely unable to decide if I was watching well dressed thugs, or just three lonely candidates who were hiding their nervousness with that 'I’m laughing-just-a-little-bit-too-loudly' bravado. I resolved to revisit the topic later in the evening.

Reg Bates and the other two BNP candidates

BNP watching over, I decided to poke some fun at Councillor Michael Dickinson.....afterall, he's been a regular sight in Freshbrook and Grangepark recently, pounding his way around the ward leafleting, door-knocking and glad-handing, and probably loosing a few pounds in weight whilst doing so. (keep it up Mr Dickinson, a healthy ward needs a healthy councillor), but, as I prepared to visit some witty reparteé upon his person I noticed he looked a bit green about the gills.  I think it's fair to say Michael was suffering from a severe case of  election night nerves, which were amplified by his obvious tiredness. I feared he might burst into tears at any point if I were too rough with him, I put the 'having fun at his expense' on hold, and found myself encouraging him to calm down and relax.....I felt a little sympathetic toward him which is a new experience for me, but, [enter Blair Mode]  “in no way signifies that I have suddenly been united with my feminine side” [exit Blair mode].

In any event Michael was reprieved, (temporarily), by my espying the arrival of another Freshbrook Councillor, Mick Bray, which supplied the perfect chance to finally settle the question: ‘Mick Bray – Real Mcoy or syrup of figs ?’.  It's real enough, firmly attached to his scalp and no amount of whistling, or even a saucer of warm milk, would entice it down for a drink.

Councillor Mick Bray.....and hair

Down to the count

The count was held in the main sports hall, (photo pending), where the grandstand seats had been erected on the east wall for the general public, and the remainder of the hall, where the count was being conducted, was on the other side of a manned security barrier.

Counting tables had been erected in a huge 'U' shape. Election officials, counting staff and media types were permitted inside the 'U', i.e behind the tables, candidates and their counting agents were kept to the outside of the tables in the six foot perimeter space between the tables and the wall which was quite crowded, especially around tables where counting was actually in progress…. with candidates and their counting agents carefully watching the votes being counted in an almost lizardlike, unblinking manner.

While the Freshbrook and Grange Park vote was being counted, (on the same table which would be used to count Moredon later in the evening), various candidates and agents were paying close attention to the count in progress.  Councillor Maureen Caton, (Lab), of Moredon, (now ex-councillor Caton), took exception to the Conservative agents leaning, with their hands firmly upon the table, and loudly accused them of intimidating the counting staff.

There was a brief, but bitter, exchange of opposing opinion between herself and a chap wearing a blue rosette, after which she thrust herself forcefully in front of them and seated herself at the table wearing the pinched expression of one who has just drunk vinegar, but, she had at least ensured that she was there nice and early for the counting of her own wards votes, even if it meant she was seeing Michael Dickinsons stack of votes growing faster than Carol Heaven, (the Labour candidate for FB&GP) by a factor of 300%. Her expression continued to tighten….

I wandered around to the Central table, Karen ‘for queen’ Leakey was watching the count stood shoulder to shoulder with Derique Montaut. The paper count is about to be announced and an official is showing spoiled papers to the counting agents.  Kevin Small, (an oxymoron if ever there was one), was busily claiming various spoiled ballots as votes for labour in the manner that a pitbull will lock its jaws upon a hand carrying a coveted object. His doggedness wasn’t necessary however…..

Kevin Small, Karen Leakey and Derique Montaut

I thought central was always going to be a fairly close result, but Karen has put her heart into working within the community and many people, on all sides of the political crevices wanted her to win on merit.  When the paper count was announced, showing Derique Montaut to well ahead of Karen with 1,092 votes compared to her 663 votes, Karen was understandably crestfallen. I think everyone thought it would be closer, if not the other way round entirely.

It is often said that bad news rides a fast horse, and Karens impeding defeat in central was no exception to the rule. The result circulated the entire hall in under 30 seconds and apparently, while her news was still accelerating in one direction, it passed a rumour which was rapidly approaching from the other. Derique, it was alledged, had received some last-minute but intensive, and very selective, door knocking help from a group of enthusiastic young labour voting asians.

If the rumour is true, it seems a sad indictment of todays politics that hearts, and hard work can be so easily mown down by a busload of mobile activists. We’ll need to watch Derique and make sure that he represents central every bit as hard as Karen would do had she become councillor this year. Perhaps 2008 will be the year Karen gets crowned Queen of Central and she'll be able to keep a proper eye on him from closer quarters.

I consider for a moment….Karen Leakey: Latest victim of Labour operating the modern political equivalent of the 80's police TSG/SPG units to inflict  hit ‘n’ run campaign tactics ?,  I pause for thought, then pop outside for a smoke….

…where I find Junab Ali, (Labour Toothill&Westlea), and Neil Heavens, (Labour Walcot) who, as most readers will already know, have been (allegedly) distributing a lot of dodgy leaflets in the wards they hoped to represent.  I couldn’t resist the opportunity to ask:

“ What’s the crack with sending out letters claiming the Tories are thieves then?”.

The result was predictable in one way, and totally surprising in another.  Neil Heavens couldn’t have made a faster exit if I’d told him his house was on fire and that he’d better run along now….yep, finding that he has italian legs afterall, he scarpered just as first as they would carry him.

Neil Heavens - Currently sharing a joint nomination for a Talkswindon 'Dodo' award with Junab Ali

*The 'Dodo' is awarded annually by Talkswindon members to the candidate who displays stunning and gross stupidity during their election campaign. Nominations are cordially invited from our members.

Junab, it has to be said, stood his ground, (albeit on slightly shakey legs), and supplied an account which tallies with my own gut feeling.  Without going into the specifics of our conversation for obvious reasons, he denies having anything to do with printing or distributing the letters. As Anne Snelgroves assistant has also distanced her employer from the whole debacle, the focus is tightening upon one or two individuals, but surprisingly in more than one town. Watch this space.

Junab must have breathed a huge sigh of relief when Mick Bray wandered past puffing away on his pipe like a Great Western locomotive. He had his avenue of escape…and immediately tackled Mick, (who also happens to be one of Junabs councillors), about blocked drains and gutters.  I left them animatedly discussing the topic. Quite literally gutter politics in action……

I never did get the chance to ask Neil Heavens whether this picture was his work.....

Back inside the count and the atmosphere is noticeably thicker than 10 minutes earlier.  A knot of Conservatives are stood right next to a group of Labour candidates. The difference in appearance between the two groups is quite startling. To a man, (and woman), the Conservatives are very well, almost professionally presented, but also to a man, the Labour group are almost the complete opposite. I know a labour leaflet went out recently accusing  the Conservatives of being all gloss but no substance…but it’s entirely possible that this gaggle had gone too far the other way. Sometimes all that distinguishes an activist from a politician really is a bath, haircut and some freshly ironed clothes.

The Welshman and the Woman From Wokingham

Having the chance to directly compare sitting Swindon South MP Anne Snelgrove to the Conservative PPC Robert Buckland was also hugely informative.

Where Anne bustled from table to table and group to group, Robert seemed far more at ease on the battlefield, perhaps happy that his troops were as well prepared as they possibly could be, he seemed happy to relax and just enjoy the event. I’m willing to bet that, compared to his usual arena of a criminal court, this really was fun for him.

Mrs Snelgrove, on the other hand, didn’t manage to control her body language quite as well. Various postures indicated stress, displeasure, and a couple of times I’m quite sure she was quite angry. Although I could take a guess as to the who’s and why’s, these should probably remain open questions, but she certainly didn’t do herself any favours when she decided that her status as an mp entitled her to break electoral rules, and she entered the central area of the count without invitation, or it seems, a pass.   

Anne Snelgrove receiving her 2nd, and very final set of marching orders

I almost felt sorry for her as she was asked to leave. She put up some resistance initially, promising to go as soon as she had finished her conversation.  The official graciously allowed her to stay a few seconds longer, but had to insist that she left the arena when her presence was noticed by candidates of opposing parties who also begain to complain quite loudly.  Just as the electoral official was beckoning for one of the attending police officers to come and remove her, she moved out of the arena of her own volition.

Anne again, on her way out of the arena, chatting to someone that did have the correct pass....but the wrong diet

Just then I noticed Garry ‘The Invisible Man’ Perkins, (Cons Shaw & Nine Elms) sat at the counting table looking like a curious cross between  St Trinians loveable spiff ‘Flash Harry’ and one of the Kray twins.  I’ve never met the bloke the bloke but, on appearance alone, I wouldn’t buy a second hand car from him.

More Reggie Kray Than George Coleman?....you decide

This picture of ‘The Perkinator’ added for visual balance…

A hitch with the e-voting, and subsequent manual recount of the electronic votes, delayed the results being returned by the returning officer, (and also the Borough solicitor), for a looong time. Bad for the candidates, good for me because I had yet more time to talk, take notes and generally make a pest out of myself……

Time for a little break now, before Tricky Micky lands one on me......

Part 2:

I’m back, feeling refreshed and grateful for finding some pictures from the count in my in-tray, submitted by Councillor Wakefield of Toothill and Westlea so perhaps it’s only polite to start discussing him, Junab Ali and including a picture of the Toothill & Westlea counting table.

Despite knowing letters claiming Tory ‘evildoers’ were lining their own pockets with council tax dosh were dropping on the doormats of , (presumably), labour voters in Toothill and Westlea, I have been unable to find any evidence that Cllr Wakefield stopped to using similar tricks to ‘dis’ his opposition in return. I tried checking his blog, but found to my surprise that it had been removed from view.

I find him quietly watching his votes being counted and asked him whether he thought the Labour letters had damaged his campaign and whether voters took them seriously. He smiled slightly, before pointing to the largest pile of votes on the table and said: “It was a silly, naïve thing that they tried with those letters, but people know me and know that I play with a straight bat, that pile of votes is the proof”…then he fished his camera from his pocket and took this picture.

Cllr Wakefields Piles

Parks…..or flushing meadows ?

It occured to me that there should be some sort of natural symbiosis between Cllr Fay Howard and Conservative candidate Graham Cherry.  A quick perusal of Cllr Fays blog  reveals she is concerned that the bogs in Cavendish square aren’t yet operational. Luckily, Graham ‘The Plumber Of Parks’ Cherry is ideally placed to offer her some technical advice.

I think the Conservatives didn’t make as much campaign-capital out of their regeneration of Cavendish Square as Fay may have made out of being unable to find a working bog there yet…..but, Fays comments do serve to remind us that that what we really expect from our Councillors, apart from political intrigue, is assistance in getting our bins emptied regularly and public bogs flushing reliably.

In any event, Parks left Graham Cherry sitting on the rim for another year and returned Fay for another four year stint.

Graham Cherry and Fay Howard

Walcot – A jewel knocked out of Anne Snelgroves Crown ?[/u]

Walcot fascinates me…..Peter Mallinson was originally elected there wearing the red red rose of Labour.  Some time later he crossed the floor to the Conservative Party and has spent the last few months nervously wondering whether Walcot would continue to support him. The Labour Group were determined to convince the voters not to.

Peter Mallinson

During their election campaign in Walcot, Labour turned up the heat considerably. Firstly Neil Heavens distributed another version of the infamous 'The Tories are nicking 'yer council tax money' letter, then Anne Snelgrove began pounding the pavements of Walcot and door knocking on behalf of her candidate personally. A live ‘BBC Politics Show’ television appearance from Sussex Square was also aired mid-campaign.

I think it is fair to say that Walcot was, is, and will remain to be crucial to Labour if a South Swindon Labour MP is win at the next general election.

Mallinson was worried, and perhaps rightly so. He’d crossed the floor, and if that wasn’t bad enough the full force of the Labour campaign tractor was determined to either drown him in muck, or plow him under completely.

However, it seems that the fields of Walcot are barren ground to seeds of doubtful origin, and for all her efforts, Mrs Snelgrove managed to increase Neil Heavens share of the vote by just 5, and it still wasn’t enough to unseat Peter Mallinson….poetic justice perhaps?.

I would have felt sorry for Heavens under any other circumstances, but he used marked cards and loaded dice, was sussed out and had his fingers burned….a lesson he will hopefully remember as he peddles from West Swindon to Walcot to campaign there again next year against Mavis Childs, if he campaigns anywhere, ever again.

The Predictables

I can’t add much comment to these, I haven’t had a chance to meet them yet.

Des Moffat (Lab) romps home in Western

Peter Stoddart (Cons) in Amble Meads

Glenn Smith (Cons) Covingham & Nythe

Ian Dobie and Rex Barnnett (Cons) Haydon Wick

Melanie Duff (Cons) Highworth

Moredon

Do you remember, much earlier in this thread, I referred to Maureen Caton as “wearing the pinched expression of one who has just drunk vinegar” ?.  This expression was upgraded to, “Bulldog chewing a wasp” when the Moredon result was announced.

Stephanie Excel (Cons) had received 1187 votes, a comfortable 302 more votes than Maureen herself.

I’m neither going to gloat, nor expand on this any further than one simple comment.

I’m sure the Conservative group put in a lot of good solid campaign effort in Moredon. I’m sure it worked well for them and I don’t wish to take anything away from them at all. Moredon was also the only ward where I managed to get a few NO2ID leaflets out, and also talk to a few people on their doorsteps.  Connected?....who knows?.

Da BNP

I said I’d return to the BNP…and so I shall.

I managed to steal a few glances at their reactions when the Parks, Penhill and Gorshill and Pinehurst results were being discussed privately with the respective candidates immediately prior to the returning officer, (Steven Taylor), announcing them publicly.

Although each candidate predictably lost, neither each individual result, nor their combined reactions to them, were quite as the Swindon Advertiser portrayed them.

The Adver headline ‘BNP Given Marching Orders By Voters’ and a little teaser from the article itself…..

The BNP skulked out of last night's elections with their tails between their legs.

The three candidates standing in Gorse Hill and Pinehurst, Parks and Penhill were all soundly defeated at the Oasis Leisure Centre.

They left without speaking after winning just 212 votes in Gorse Hill and Pinehurst, 223 votes in Parks and 162 in Penhill ward.

What the adver didn’t say of course, was that in Gorsehill, Reg Bates (BNP) came in third, and was ahead of the Liberal Democrats, UKIP and the Green Party candidates.

In Parks Chris Southgate (BNP) also came third and also ahead of the Liberal Democrats and Green Party Candidates.

Only in Penhill did they come last, where Ken Walters returned 162 votes.

It may be worrying enough that 597 people voted for the three BNP candidates, but for a newspaper to deliberately publish an inaccurate account, and encourage its readers to draw the wrong mental picture of the political landscape locally, isn't clever either.

As the current Labour government is finally realising after 10 years, publishing misleading information helps the opposition in the long term. Information and truth always find the light.....

To The Adver: Don’t distort stuff…..tell it like it is, or don’t tell it at all.

In conclusion

I really enjoyed being at the count and I hope we're invited back next year.

It was a real eye opener and I met many interesting people, some of whom are arrogant, lazy, spiteful and vicious and shouldn’t be holding a broom, let alone public office. Thankfully I think these are very much in the minority.

Most of them are affable, likeable, hard working and full of passion for what they do in their communities. We should applaud them, whatever colour rosette they wear.

My final comments are about the big guns themselves. They are entirely personal comments on my part, and should in no way be taken as the opinions of either the NO2ID campaign, (which I’m very pleased to support), or ‘policy’ statements of this forum. This forum has no policy other than to provide a free and open discussion venue.

Despite being Welsh, Robert Buckland is a nice guy who seems to completely lack the Napoleonic gene which is often evident in the vertically challenged. Like me, he supports a good idea, the morally right ting to do, the fair things, the good things wherever he finds them regardless of whose idea it might be, or where it came from.

I admire honesty of purpose in anyone, particularly so when I find it in a barrister who is willing to take a significant drop in salary to become a full time politician, but not prostitute himself, or his principles for a handful of votes.

Robert Buckland

On the other side of that coin I find Anne Snelgrove, ex-teacher fast-tracked into Swindon by the Nu Labour selection process that so often favours all-female shortlists of candidates.

One of ‘Blairs Babes’ ?, hardly… but since her election she has remained 100% loyal to the Blair/Nu Labour regime, never once showing deviance form the party line, and never once voting against her own government, despite there being many occasions when many would say the morally right thing would have been to do just that.

It wouldn’t be difficult to list 50 reasons why I’d vote for Robert, but not Anne, and I suspect many of you would assume reason number one would be something to do with civil liberties, identity cards or the National Identity Register…..but it isn’t.

Like a 1945 paratrooper going into Arnhem, Anne has jumped on one bandwagon two many for my liking…and her attempted hijacking of the Swindon Special Educational Needs Network really was a bridge too far, even for her. Click the blue highlighted text to refresh your memory.

Anne Snelgrove

Kevin Small?, he seems to have received the Napoleon genes that Robert Buckland didn’t get, and at some point his charisma was bypassed instead of Blunsdon and apparently pimped out his principles when printing, and passing out, his poisoned letters.

Cllr Kevin Small

I honestly can’t tell which of the Snelgrove/Small duo provides the brains, and which the brawn, but I am sure that Kevin plays Clyde Barrow alongside Annes Bonnie….

….but, if these two really were bank robbers instead of vote chasers, their lack of success would find them opening a bank account and asking for an overdraft….the manager would be taking a close look at their assets, i.e Walcot and Parks, and request some security before lending them anything.

Whatever has just happened, the next 12 months promise to be just as fascinating.

The labour rose is extinct in Moredon, and has shed all its petals in Walcot.

Mavis Childs will face the Neil Heavens/Anne Snelgrove treatment in 2008.

Steve Allsop (Lab) in Parks will be looking nervously over his shoulder for any sign of a rampaging plumber…..

…and the Deputy Mayor (Lab) Michael Barnes might be wondering whether a serious contender will have a go at him in Western.

Sinead 'Tossing Curls' Darker will be wondering if, come election day, she'll be hearing the revving of mini bus engines and the sound of two dozen sandals gently slapping their way around the pavements of central......

My money will be on Walcot and Parks being next years battlefields, because without both being firmly back under the Labour thumb, I don’t believe Anne Snelgrove is likely to retain her seat at the next General Election....

....if she even stands here again.

And finally…… yep, this really is the end....

….at the end of the night I tackled Nick Martin about accusations he's selling off assets quicker than Blair sells peerages....

Much to Mick Brays apparent horror, Nick misunderstood my question and showed me a different set of assets altogether…..

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:39:42 pm by Geoff Reid »

Offline HeidiT

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:31:13 pm »
Hahahahahahahahahahah   :2funny:

Fantastic Geoff.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:09:29 pm »
You're too kind... maybe you'll change your mind tomorrow :-[

I haven't got to the Lib Dems, the BNP yet or the independants yet.....  ;)

Dick Norman

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 11:21:40 pm »
 ;) ;)

You sure the photo is not of the elusive Mr Snelgrove Geoff?

;) ;)

Dick Norman

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:28:28 pm »
 8) 8) 8)

You've finished with the Tories then Geoff?  A bit unkind on Mr Perkins I thought.   

8) 8) 8)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:43:51 pm »
8) 8) 8)

You've finished with the Tories then Geoff? 

Waiting on some more photos.... :)

On the subject of photos:

If anyone, from any of the parties, would like to submit count photos for publication on the forum, I'll happily receive by email at:

geoffreid@talkswindon.org

Even the ones that I don't use in the above post will be galleried on Talkswindon.....as soon as the neccessary software is installed on the server.

Thanks  :)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 11:03:41 am by Geoff Reid »

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:02:38 am »
8) 8) 8)

You've finished with the Tories then Geoff?  A bit unkind on Mr Perkins I thought.   

8) 8) 8)

How so?

Just then I noticed Garry ‘The Invisible Man’ Perkins, (Cons Shaw & Nine Elms) sat at the counting table looking like a curious cross between  St Trinians loveable spiff ‘Flash Harry’ and one of the Kray twins.  I’ve never met the bloke the bloke but, on appearance alone, I wouldn’t buy a second hand car from him.

Seems fairly measured to me.
Yer man didn't say anything about spitting,finger thrusting or white collared coloured shirts.
Altough at least Garriee took his shades off for the big count.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 04:43:31 pm »
My account is now updated at post #5

shorty

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 05:18:10 pm »
very witty and informative.

This is news and journalism at it's best.

keep up the excellent work.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 05:53:59 pm »

I bet you say that to all the nice boys  :-[

There's quite a few things I observed on the night that made no sense at the time, but I'm sure will in the near future and will deserve their own little threads.

e.g:

1. Why was David Glaholm wandering around with a face like thunder all evening?

2. What did Barry Thompson find so interesting about Fay Howard paying such close attention to Bonnie & Clyde Anne Snelgrove and Kevin Small.

The devils in the details it's often said, and if you study the minutae of peoples behaviour in tense situations they often give away far more than they intend to.... 

I wonder whether....

1. David Glaholm sees storm clouds on the near horizon.

2. Barry Thompson thinks Fay might replace him as deputy leader of the Labour group soon.

Time will tell, but Barry Thompson is nobodys finger puppet and, as Fay will probably be rewarded for doing exactly as she's been told recently, it would explain his covert interest.

I'm open to the possibility that I'm completely wrong...he could just have been staring at her butt, either way it will give Fay something to laugh at on her blog.  :)

Offline sasquatch

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 07:02:37 pm »
What did Barry Thompson find so interesting about Fay Howard paying such close attention to Bonnie & Clyde Anne Snelgrove and Kevin Small.

I heard a rumour that Fay Howard is the new Deputy Leader of the Labour Group In Swindon so I guess she was being annointed by Ms. Snelgrove ! Kevin is desperately trying to copy the tories as they have a female deputy leader of the council and let's face it, there aren't exactly that many labour councillors to choose from  ;D

Barry has been Kevin'd  :knuppel2: Mind you he is probably better off not being associated with Mr Small at the moment  O0

The rumour mill has also suggested David Glaholm is not exactly on good terms with either Kevin Small or Ms. Snelgrove because of a little story in the Adver a couple of weeks ago........  :fence1:
"I have often been called a Nazi, and, although it is unfair, I don't let it bother me. I don't let it bother me for one simple reason. No one has eve

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 09:39:31 pm »
Hi Geoff
Good reporting and thanks for using the photographs I like the one with you and Nick  in, seriously though the whole report was a cross between the New Statesman and Private eye with a bit of Punch thrown in for good measure.

I think that you found the night  interesting and you must have enjoyed rubbing shoulders with the MP and other big guns, from the political world. I do hope you continue this into the rest of the year and 2008. By the way Sasquatch, thanks for the info on Fay and David, it appears that the only way to find out what is going on in the Civic Offices  is to read TalkSwindon. It will be interesting over the next 9 days
All posts on this forum are my own and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 11:28:28 pm »
What did Barry Thompson find so interesting about Fay Howard paying such close attention to Bonnie & Clyde Anne Snelgrove and Kevin Small.

I heard a rumour that Fay Howard is the new Deputy Leader of the Labour Group In Swindon so I guess she was being annointed by Ms. Snelgrove ! Kevin is desperately trying to copy the tories as they have a female deputy leader of the council and let's face it, there aren't exactly that many labour councillors to choose from  ;D

Oh for goodness sake.

Is is not possible that Fay Howard is/would be the best person for the job?
Perhaps her gender has nothing to do with her selection? What a notion !

Or... are you suggesting that Feersum Foley is the Deputy Leader of the Conservatives only because she is a woman?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 12:36:07 pm »
are you suggesting that Feersum Foley is the Deputy Leader of the Conservatives only because she is a woman?

Allegedly  ;)

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 01:20:21 pm »
are you suggesting that Feersum Foley is the Deputy Leader of the Conservatives only because she is a woman?

Allegedly  ;)

The collective noun for misogynists ?

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.