Author Topic: Video: Anne Snelgrove deploys 'Canutology' to deny rising tide of opposition  (Read 2095 times)

Offline NO2ID Swindon

• no2id.net
Anne Snelgrove appeared on last Sundays edition of BBC Televisions 'Politics Show'.

The show was filmed live in Sussex Square, Walcot, and was billed as a discussion of cctv.

Anne couldn't resist the televisual opportunity to dismiss the NO2ID campaign as 'making a lot of noise' and went on to claim wide support for identity cards, (although she didn't claim support for the National Identity Register), from the doorsteps of Swindon.

We have termed Annes constant denials that a rising tide of anti-identity card sentiment exists, 'The Canute Defence'.

To see her perform for the cameras, click the picture of King Canute.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:58:54 pm by NO2ID Swindon »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Several Talkswindon members and I are intimately familiar with Mrs Snelgroves habit of casually dismissing opposing opinions, but I believe this particular comment may give her cause for reflection in the coming weeks.

As you're probably aware, NO2ID Swindon is currently conducting its second annual survey of all 93 candidates in the Swindon local election being held on May the 3rd.

The results already received ought to make Mrs Snelgrove pause and reconsider her choice of words, and perhaps take more careful notice, not just of us, and her other constituents, but also her own Labour candidates in this years local election campaign.

The results, at this point, indicate that 97% of candidates are completely opposed to Identity Cards and the National Identity Register, 3% are as yet undecided and 0% are in favour.

These responses are from candidates that have been busy knocking on doors and talking to residents all over Swindon for weeks, and not just in Parks and Walcot wards where Anne Snelgrove seems to have concentrated her efforts on behalf of her party candidates.

In Central ward, where Mrs Snelgroves constituency office is located, Labour candidate Derique Montaut has gone on record as being opposed to the scheme,  following the lead of Centrals existing Labour Councillor, Bob Wright, who has publicly stated that he is also opposed to the Governments' Identity Cards scheme.

The Liberal Democrats, Conservatives, UKIP and the British National Party are almost completely in unison in opposing the issue.

I heartily applaud the honesty of Derique Montaut and Bob Wright, because they have placed personal honesty above the easier option of simply repeating the party line.

We don’t yet know what the opinions of Swindons remaining 19 Labour Party candidates are, because none of them have returned their survey, but, if the scheme is as widely welcomed as Mrs Snelgrove claims, perhaps she would be kind enough to chase up her 19 candidates and ask them to return their surveys so we can all learn what those opinions are.

Unlike the looming compulsion to purchase an identity card, participation in the NO2ID local election candidates survey is entirely voluntary, but if Mrs Snelgrove is to be believed, there shouldn’t be any good reason why a Labour Party candidate who wishes to become a local councillor, wouldn’t want to spend 20 seconds ticking four boxes and returning it in the postage paid envelope we provided.

Snelgrove can continue her King Canute impersonation, but the tide continues to grow......

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job

Oh dear.

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
I presume the question Ms Snelgrove is not,' would you like to be rounded up, your eyes,face and fingerprints captured along with a few other details, pay to have them entered onto a register,fined if you do not and sold to sundry organisations when you have - with the Government's admission that the data register will NOT prevent terrorism'

Perhaps she is asking people if they would like an ID Card which will be a handy bit of plastic and will stop crims. from being crims.
If one of those exists, I'll trade my Swindoncard in for it.
Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Simon

• Swindon Climate Action Network
Quote from: Anne Snelgrove in that video clip
There's a big anti-ID card protest but it isn't a huge number of people in my constituency. They make a lot of noise, but when I talk to people on the doorstep they're not anti-ID card and if it stops illegal activities, stops crime, stops identity theft, they're all for it.

First, Anne has never spoken to me on my doorstep. Mind you, one of the conditions of corresponding with your MP is that you have to supply your address to prove that you're one of their constituents. So Anne knows where I live and has probably realised that my doorstep won't be a particularly productive one for her electioneering.

Second, when I talk to people about this whole National Identity Register thing (it's not the cards that are the problem, it's the Register), they either don't really know anything about it and are pretty ambivalent about the whole thing, or they know a bit about it and don't like the idea. The more they know about it, the less they seem to like it.

Third, I have to wonder which doorsteps Anne has been turning up at, and what she has been saying to the people she finds there. Does she really go door-to-door meeting as many different people as possible? Or does she just drop in on the Labour party members, lapsed party members and anyone else who might possibly vote Labour, in an attempt to persuade them not to stay at home on polling day out of apathy?

And what does she say to them?

I presume the question Ms Snelgrove is not,' would you like to be rounded up, your eyes,face and fingerprints captured along with a few other details, pay to have them entered onto a register,fined if you do not and sold to sundry organisations when you have - with the Government's admission that the data register will NOT prevent terrorism'

Perhaps she is asking people if they would like an ID Card which will be a handy bit of plastic and will stop crims. from being crims.
If one of those exists, I'll trade my Swindoncard in for it.

I can see how it could be quite persuasive when put like that to someone who doesn't have any background knowledge of the scheme. So is she selling a rose-tinted view of the scheme to a carefully selected subset of the electorate, and then interpreting the responses as being representative of "public opinion"?
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Margie

• Charter Member
Positively heroic Canutology deployment, I reckon, considering her undeniable knowledge of the local interest generated by the public meeting in February.  I wonder what would constitute a 'huge number of people'?

Offline trevg

• Swindon Dawn Patrol
rose-tinted view of the scheme to a carefully selected subset of the electorate, and then interpreting the responses as being representative of "public opinion
Sounds like a classic description of 'spin' to me..fast running out of credibilty though...time will soon show ! O0
PS: Nice to know we 'make a lot of noise' - that's really rewarding info !!
There is a principle which is proof against all information, which is proof against all arguments, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting igno

shorty

Does Anne Snelgrove have any obligations under the freedom of Information Act ?

Is it worth putting a request in to see what government correspondence links her to ID cards or even her support ?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Does Anne Snelgrove have any obligations under the freedom of Information Act ?

Is it worth putting a request in to see what government correspondence links her to ID cards or even her support ?

Well, she did sit on the House of Commons science and technology committee, although from what we can gather her only input during the entire process was to utter just one single word.

She said: "Aye" when the committee voted.

Worth re-visiting this thread though....   http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=668.msg3160#msg3160

Offline Alligator

• Charter Member
First, Anne has never spoken to me on my doorstep. Mind you, one of the conditions of corresponding with your MP is that you have to supply your address to prove that you're one of their constituents. So Anne knows where I live and has probably realised that my doorstep won't be a particularly productive one for her electioneering.

Second, when I talk to people about this whole National Identity Register thing (it's not the cards that are the problem, it's the Register), they either don't really know anything about it and are pretty ambivalent about the whole thing, or they know a bit about it and don't like the idea. The more they know about it, the less they seem to like it.

Third, I have to wonder which doorsteps Anne has been turning up at, and what she has been saying to the people she finds there. Does she really go door-to-door meeting as many different people as possible? Or does she just drop in on the Labour party members, lapsed party members and anyone else who might possibly vote Labour, in an attempt to persuade them not to stay at home on polling day out of apathy?

And what does she say to them?

I don't think Anne would have expected any of her constituents to see this programme as it was broadcast in the BBC South region.  I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that most, if not all of Swindon, sits in the BBC West region.  Does anyone on here live in the South region?  You'd know by whether you get Points West or South Today as your local BBC news programme.

The BBC South website is carrying their portion of the show on the following link, just click on 'Latest Programe'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/politics_show/regions/south/default.stm  I guess this will only be available until Sunday 29th April.

Offline Tel Hudson

Interesting comment that most Labour candidates have not submitted questionnaires.  I know one Labour candidate quite well.  Down the pub he has stated clearly that he is opposed to ID cards.  He has not submitted his answers.

Since I know he is both honest and honourable all I can presume is that he does not wish to embarrass the party that he holds dear.

(And no I will neither expose him nor hint as to who he is.  I do not rat on my friends even if he is a political opponent.)
I am right 96% of the time. I don't give an aerial intercourse about the other 5%..

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.