Author Topic: Times - Gordon Brown keeps option to scrap IDcards open  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
Times - Gordon Brown keeps option to scrap IDcards open
« on: April 20, 2007, 06:26:48 am »
By not approving Home Office budget...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1674540.ece

This doesn't constitiute a sea change in my mind, rather a hole through which to wriggle.

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Times - Gordon Brown keeps option to scrap IDcards open
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:34:06 am »

Given Gordon Browns well earned reputation for raising revenue by stealth and being apparently generous with one hand whilst pilfering your pensions scheme/dead Aunties estate/airline tickets etc, (ad infinitum).....

...wouldn't it be sensible to assume that not only is he playing the inevitable PR game, (The National Identity Register isn't yet ready, so why not let the electorate think he might actually be against it, and possibly earn some brownie points with them?), but also that he is seeking to place a greater burden of the costs away from central government and onto someone else.

Make no mistake, Gordon Brown is one of the parents of the National Identity Register and Identity Cards scheme.

Also remember that Gordon Brown is very, very good at playing almost invisible long-term strategies.

Gordon Brown is not someone that releases power, control or revenue.

The National Identity Register and Identity Cards will give whovever controls them, massive power, huge control and the ability to raise revenue from every registered person in the country every time their card is swiped, identity verified or record searched by an employer/bank/insurance company/foreign government or supermarket.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:40:27 pm by Geoff Reid »

Offline CogDis

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:29:44 pm »
Well Geoff - I think you're wrong. I think ID cards are not, and never were, going to happen - not assuming The Broon takes over anyway. First and main reason is the poonds - he won't spend that much on something that gives him little except grief, there's no way this will make a surplus for him cos he can't control the costs once he's given the OK. Secondly, he thinks he's got the image of a centralising control freak and introducing ID cards will play to that with an early election likely. 6 months of beating up the Macceroons, firing off spectacular political rockets, being seen being statesmanlike with World Leaders, then Go For It.

ID cards don't fit in at all - bogged down in endless parliamentary arguments, no kudos, no big electoral payback and, most of all - not his idea.  No way. Won't happen.

You mark my words ...

Coggie

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:08:55 pm »
Coggie, I think you're wrong in part.

I do think that Brown will distance himself from a(nother) govt. technological sinkhole.
I also think he will appreciate the nasty fetid stink hanging around this Act.
But he is not really the problem. The law is on the statute book.

One day, maybe soon, the govt. at hand will appreciate how to build a decent piece of software and off they'll go.
In the meantime they will be gathering the data needed to populate it.

Most importantly they will not let technical incompetence get in the way of the train.
A register will be cobbled together from the existing flawed ones and each first time passport applicant will be forced onto it having parted with £30 for the pleasure.

We need this Act repealed.

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:33:25 am »
Well Geoff - I think you're wrong.
Coggie

I sincerely hope I am too......

....but I have to assume that I'm right until I'm proven wrong, after which I can relax and spend the rest of my days feeling fainly foolish or mightily pleased.

Or perhaps a mixture of both  :)

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.