Author Topic: NHS Database  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
NHS Database
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:20:39 am »
This link for those worried by the NHS database.

I believe that if one is to 'opt out' of the NHS database , time is of the essence. Once on e's details are on the spine it will be problematic to have them removed

http://www.nhsconfidentiality.org/

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline tig

Re: NHS Database
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:01:43 pm »
sent mine of today  O0

bert

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:07:36 pm »
thanks for that Lynda

Offline Steps

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 09:04:52 pm »
Within the letter is says
I am aware of the implications of this request

Can anyone tell me wah the implications are?  I couldn't find anything on the site.

Cheers
Steps

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:21:55 am »

I'm presuming that the direct implications of opting out would be a delay in a hospital in Scotland receiving your notes from the Great Western Hospital or Swindon General Practitioner, were you to be taken ill whilst on holiday in Scotalnd and requiring treatment.

I'll happily take that risk rather than have my records being shared everywhere under the Governments 'Greater Information Sharing' initiative.

I will be opting out.

Offline Steps

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:05:39 pm »
Thanks Geoff,

I thought it would be something like that, but as the website didn't say I thought it worth checking.

I think I'll opt out too.

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 05:52:33 pm »
Bit of an article with a couple of views

http://www.ehiprimarycare.com/news/item.cfm?ID=2302

Offline Lynda

• Charter Member
  • "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 04:07:28 pm »
I think the govt. is in a bit of trouble ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1962282,00.html

The Department of Health provoked uproar among doctors yesterday by asking GPs in England to send in correspondence from objectors who do not want their confidential medical records placed on the Spine, a national NHS database.

continues with Paul Cundy taking Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer, to task

Paul Cundy, the BMA's spokesman on IT, said: "For a GP to forward such letters without the explicit consent of the patient would be a gross breach of privacy. In effect it is asking GPs to spy on his behalf. He should retract immediately.

"Since these patients are objecting to the Big Brother society, this is an astonishingly incompetent gaffe."
Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 11:24:00 pm »
This one needs quoting in full.....

GPs angered by call to reveal names of NHS database rebels

John Carvel, social affairs editor
Saturday December 2, 2006
The Guardian

The Department of Health provoked uproar among doctors yesterday by asking GPs in England to send in correspondence from objectors who do not want their confidential medical records placed on the Spine, a national NHS database.

Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer, said letters from patients who want to keep their private medical details out of the government's reach should be sent to Patricia Hewitt, the health secretary, for "full consideration".

Article continues
Campaigners who fear the national database will infringe patients' civil liberties said the exercise would give Ms Hewitt access to the names and addresses of patients most likely to be offended by government intrusion.

GPs wrote to the General Medical Council asking for a ruling on whether Sir Liam had broken the doctors' code of good practice by using his authority to encourage GPs to breach patient confidentiality without clinical justification.

Sir Liam's letter complained about "misleading statements" in a Guardian article on November 1 that the police and other agencies might be able to access medical records once they had been loaded on to the national database.

The article included a form of words patients could use to ask Ms Hewitt to refrain from uploading their records without their explicit consent.

Sir Liam said patients were sending a similar request to GPs instead of the health secretary. He added: "If you do receive any such letters I would ask you to send them to the Department of Health so they may receive full consideration."

Hamish Meldrum, chairman of the BMA's GPs' committee, said: "The chief medical officer's intervention is not helpful and GPs should not forward these letters. It is possible that some patients might think this is a breach of confidentiality in that a letter sent to their GP is forwarded to somebody else without their consent."

Paul Cundy, the BMA's spokesman on IT, said: "For a GP to forward such letters without the explicit consent of the patient would be a gross breach of privacy. In effect it is asking GPs to spy on his behalf. He should retract immediately.

"Since these patients are objecting to the Big Brother society, this is an astonishingly incompetent gaffe."

Ross Anderson, professor of security engineering at Cambridge University, said: "It is not for the government to decide unilaterally to override the wishes of those patients who decide to write to their GP, but not to Ms Hewitt. For the chief medical officer to so recklessly put news management ahead of patient privacy is shocking." The government wants to start uploading a summary of patients' records in trial areas in the spring. Sir Liam reassured GPs: "There will be plenty of time to discuss patients' concerns with them before any data uploads ... in their areas."

Other related quotes:

http://society.guardian.co.uk/e-public/story/0,,1953185,00.html

Four years ago when Medix first asked doctors about the programme, 67% of GPs said it was an important priority for the NHS, but now only 35% think so. Four years ago 56% of GPs said they were enthusiastic about it, but now only 25% are. Hospital doctors are more positive but many have also lost faith in the scheme.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/e-public/story/0,,1953307,00.html

About 50% of family doctors are threatening to defy government instructions to automatically put patient records on a new national database because of fears that they will not be safe, a Guardian poll reveals today. It shows that GPs are expressing grave doubts about access to the "Spine" - an electronic warehouse being built to store information on about 50 million patients - and how information on it could be vulnerable to hackers, bribery and blackmail.

I take some heart that general practioners have recognised the dangers of these meta-databases and are as appalled as we are by the governments demands to just 'upload' patients notes to the 'NHS Spine' without the patients knowledge or consent.

Tomorrow I will sign my own opt-out and deliver it to my surgery.

I must remember to add this final line:

Please retain this letter soley with my medical notes and do not under any circumstances forward it to any government department.

Trust your doctor.

If your Doctor thinks uploading your records onto a central 'spine' will put your privacy, intimate details and identity at risk....then it probably will.

I trust mine to make good decisions about my healthcare, I trust her advice with this also.

Opt Out Now !

...and do it quickly using the following form letter.

Please do this. Opt out now and give yourself time to observe what happens over the next few months or years. You can always opt-in at a later date.

If you examine other government databases being 'built' and added to, (even as I type), they are often adding entries illegally and refusing to remove them again, even when challenged legally.

If your details are uploaded to the NHS spine, even without your consent, it is unlikely you will ever get them removed again.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 11:44:20 pm »

This is a copy of the letter that you will need to send to your GP if you want him or her to put a ’stop’ on your records being uploaded to NHS ’spine’ automatically:

Exercising right to opt out

Dear Doctor,

As you are probably aware, the Government is intending to ask you to transfer the electronic medical records of your patients onto a national database called the “spine”. They intend you to do this without first seeking the consent of your patients. It is BMA policy that patients should give their individual consent prior to their information being transferred on to the national database.

There are substantial concerns about the privacy and confidentiality of information transferred onto the national database, not least because promised software security safeguards called “sealed envelopes” will not be in place and because the patient’s instructions with regard to who may access the records can be overridden. I do not believe that such a large database, with so many staff users, can be regarded as secure.

I would be grateful if you would ensure that none of my records held by you are entered onto the national system.  Would you please also file or scan a copy of this letter in my records and also record my dissent by entering the “Read code” - ‘93C3. - Refused consent for upload to national shared electronic record.’ into my computer record. I am aware of the implications of this request and will notify you should I change my mind.

This request is itself confidential. Please do not divulge my decision, in an identifiable manner, to anyone other than to clinicians who are providing care to me and who might otherwise place information about me on the national care records service.

Further information for GPs is available online at www.TheBigOptOut.org/?page_id=9

Yours sincerely,

You just need to add your details and your GP’s details to the letter that you are about to download, print it out, then sign and post the letter to your GP’s practice.

The letter, in various formats, can be downloaded from the Talkswindon server by clicking on the following links.

Opt out letter for Microsoft word

Opt out Letter in PDF format

Opt out letter in Rich Text format

Offline Tobes

• Charter Member
  • Prehistoric bones in fields of russets and rust
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 12:48:36 pm »
Whoops - accidentally posted something on this in the other thread (will teach me not to keep up to date) - but perhaps we can leave it there anyway... no harm in spreading the warning message a little wider.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita

Offline ZPW

• Film maker
  • Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 06:48:02 pm »
Someone I was conspiring chatting with ystrdy from the DOH health profession said ( allegedly) that some PCTs are rolling out the programme sharpish without all the due fanfare that would be seemly when it comes to bunging ones personal habits and ailments about the country.

Someone firther up this thread said something bland about it being problematic getting your details off the datbase once on... this is absolute piffle. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to get your record off the NHS spine if you don't opt out before they go on.

http://www.thebigoptout.com/optoutletter

Do not forget to include your kinder in your opt out.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.